Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Behind the Scenes

For the vision is yet for an appointed time and it hastens to the end [fulfillment]; it will not deceive or disappoint. Though it tarry, wait [earnestly] for it, because it will surely come; it will not be behind on its appointed day. Habakkuk 2: 3

Yesterday our family celebrated “Gotcha Day”, when I tell others’ this, I usually get the silly “what the heck is Gotcha Day” stare. “Gotcha Day” basically is self explanatory, it’s the day we met our daughter and brought her home…the day we “got her”.

Remembering the day we met her, also causes me to reminisce to the time before this happened.
Our adoption journey began with the simple moment that I desired my son to have a playmate. The thought immediately came to my mind that he could have a play mate. Although as far as we knew I could birth more babies, I had always thought of adoption as a miraculous act of God. I quickly shared my thoughts with my husband. After prayer, conversation and thought, his only comment was “no babies, and no girls”. At the time, I said Ok, and was honestly fine with that. However, if you know the end of the story, you can only imagine just how God worked , to get us to a different place.

After going through weeks of training, and learning that there were many expectant African American mothers and not many families ready to adopt. We decided together that a baby was a good fit for our family.

The next months consisted of hope, expectation, excitement,…then heartbreak all in that order more than once. We were matched with an expecting birthmother, she changed her mind. We were matched with another expecting birthmother she all of the sudden stopped communicating with the agency, disconnected her phone and could not be reached. Although all of this was only within a few months time, I began to wonder if I’d heard God wrong, and maybe this wasn’t meant to be. The ring of the phone was torturing. Time continued to pass. Hope was still there, but wavering.

While I was questioning and wondering;God was working behind the scenes to create one of the greatest gifts ever.

On Wednesday September 25th, 2002 the phone rang. This time, it was not the call for a possible birthmother, but a precious little girl born the previous Sunday. She was waiting on us, and we could meet her and bring her home on that Saturday September 28th. We did just that, and seven years later, she has her daddy wrapped around her finger.

God’s promises are real. God’s timing is perfect. Many times we want, what we want, when we want it. When it doesn’t fit into our agenda, or we get impatient, we may begin to question God.

God has the appointed time for our blessings. As you wait, he works to make it right. Like our baby girl, when God’s timing arrives, it brings blessings beyond what you can ever imagine.

No comments: