Thursday, May 28, 2009

Take a Knee

Ephesians 3:14-19 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God.

My son has played football a total of four seasons. I am his biggest fan. However, I confess I know very little about the game. I struggle to know the basics. I know there is a lot of pushing, shoving and knocking down. I know Chandler plays offense and defense and he needs to block. The more he puts the opposing team on the ground, the louder we are to cheer for him.

I do find one part of football practice fascinating. In the middle of mass chaos and legal violence among boys(while grown men love every second of it), my husband or one of the other coaches yell “take a knee”. The violence and chaos ceases, helmets come off , peace visits, and the boys are all focused on their leaders. They have a drink of water, hear a word of guidance or direction about the plays they will run. But most importantly… they listen.

Life sometimes violently comes to push, shove and at times “knock our block off”(learned that phrase this season). We are often confused and wonder what’s going on.When this happens…take a knee (or two). Drop to your knees, talk to your leader, drink of the living water, and most importantly listen for direction. In football, violence and chaos are expected. In life, God didn’t promise us we would not experience struggle. We will. He did promise he would give us a place of peace. Do not give up; instead take a time out and humble yourself by taking a knee before the father and go to that place. There you will find direction from your life coach and be given your strategy how to push through and endure until you enter the endzone.

No comments: